There was an error in this gadget

Thursday, September 29, 2005

House Energy Bill: Biggest Clean Air Act Weakening in History

CLEAN AIR WATCH WARNS HOUSE ENERGY BILL IS
BIGGEST CLEAN AIR ACT WEAKENING IN HISTORY


(Washington, DC. September 29, 2005) – The non-profit Clean Air Watch today warned that energy legislation approved early this morning by a House of Representatives committee “would be the biggest weakening of the Clean Air Act in history.”

Just after midnight, following a largely partisan debate, the House Energy and Commerce Committee approved legislation allegedly designed to increase the capacity of oil refineries in the wake of recent hurricanes.

But Frank O’Donnell, president of Clean Air Watch, noted the legislation includes many provisions that have no connection at all to gas prices. The bill, slated to come before the full House of Representatives next week, would “blow gaping loopholes in the Clean Air Act,” O’Donnell noted.

Committee Chairman Joe Barton (R-TX) noted he took the unusual step of holding a marathon bill-writing session without a prior hearing because he was prodded by the House Republican leadership to bypass normal procedures. The leadership – roiled yesterday by the indictment of Rep. Tom DeLay (R-TX) – reportedly has been concerned about public anger over high gasoline prices.

“Unfortunately, this appears to be a cynical attempt to exploit the recent hurricanes for political gain – and the gain of well-connected special-interest polluters,” O’Donnell said. “This would be the biggest weakening of the Clean Air Act in history. It will merely exacerbate human suffering.”

O’Donnell pointed, for example, to a provision that would “eviscerate” a key enforcement tool in the law known as new source review. This tool, which has been used many times to reduce pollution from refineries, coal-fired electric power plants and other smokestack industries, has long been unpopular with big polluters. The dirty-air provision, sponsored by Barton, would permit thousands of smokestack industries – not just refineries – to increase real-world emissions.

Barton noted yesterday that he included the provision at the specific request of the Bush administration – a startling revelation since the administration’s Justice Department has advocated the use of this pollution cleanup tool in pending enforcement cases against big power companies. (In response to industry lobbying, the Bush administration separately has tried to weaken this tool through regulations, but its efforts have been stymied by a federal court.)

“Gutting this part of the law would undermine the Justice Department enforcement cases and open the door to increased pollution,” O’Donnell noted. “There is an appearance here of a political payback to special interests including the oil and electric power industries.”

The controversial legislation also includes a Barton-sought provision that would encourage the EPA to postpone smog cleanup requirements in many communities afflicted by pollution from upwind areas. A Barton staffer admitted during the deliberations that this provision – like the new source review provision -- had no direct relation to energy industry needs following the recent hurricanes.

In addition, the legislation would take away state and local authority regarding refinery permits and would impede efforts to require cleaner fuels.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is excellent - keep it up! Don't miss visiting this site about home party plan business
. It pretty much covers home party plan business
related stuff.

gastips said...

Nice Blog! Its great how useful the internet can be with its wealth of information. I will try and visit you blog on a regular basis to help you out.

If you want any Gas Saving Tips feel free to visit nj gas prices

See ya soon.. :)

Anonymous said...

Howdy!

I am out spreading the word
to all true supporters of evangelical lutheran

I believe that readers of this blog
would be fascinated to read about
the great new book at

evangelical lutheran

Anonymous said...

San Diego is having a Hot Rod Halloween on Sunday, October 30. If you love low rider song then you will want to be there! All kinds of low rider song will be in attendance. For more information go to low rider song
See Ya There!!

Anonymous said...

I was searching for blogs that had Dallas, TX in them and came across yours. I live in Dallas and have a self defense school. I like the posts on your blog, so I've bookmarked it to stop back by periodically. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Last month I made $12,124 with Google Adsense...Click
here for free on how you can do the same!

Anonymous said...

Last month I made $12,124 with Google Adsense...Click
here for free on how you can do the same!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I just stumbled across your blog as I was doing a search on the phrase based best business franchise home, and I just wanted to say that I really like what you've done with your blog, even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for, and that I appreciate your postings. I've recently started a based best business franchise home website that you may be interested in visiting if you get a chance. Much success, Eric.

Anonymous said...

Gasoline prices change frequently and prices within a few blocks varies up to 20 percent. It is important to be able locate the gas station with the lowest priced fuel. Our sites allow the you check the gas prices online before you pay too much.
We designed the site with you in mind. We all know how costly gas is. Finding the lowest gas station is important as it could save up to $300 a month.

www.globalgasprice.com

Check Out :

www.choosepet.com

www.dogcribs.com

Anonymous said...

Hello, I just stumbled across your blog as I was doing a search on the phrase home business idea, and I just wanted to say that I really like what you've done with your blog, even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for, and that I appreciate your postings. I've recently started a home business idea website that you may be interested in visiting if you get a chance. Much success, Eric.

Antonio Hicks said...

I was just browsing various blogs as I was doing a search on the word halloween, and I just wanted to say that I really like what you've done with your blog, even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for. I appreciate your postings, and your blog is a good example of how a blog should be done. I've only just recently started a Posters website - feel free to visit it when you get a chance if you wish. Much success, antonio.

Anonymous said...

Great post!

I did a search for gas range and found this site. I have put together an ebook I have titled, "Huge Gas Pump Savings."

Dave
http://www.huge-gas-pump-savings.com/

Anonymous said...

Great post!

I did a search for propane gas and found this site. I have put together an ebook I have titled, "Huge Gas Pump Savings."

Dave
http://www.huge-gas-pump-savings.com/

Health said...

Hello

I have just discovered the wealth of information on the net contained in Blogs. I have also found an interesting site to view about internet survey
internet. internet surveymoney

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a auto parts site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

See Ya There!!!

Carpet Cleaning Dallas said...

Good Blog here nice read if you would like to see my web site carpet cleaning Wyliecarpet cleaning Wyliehttp://www.carpet-cleaning-dallas-allen-frisco-plano-texas.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was out blogging and found your site. It certainly got my attention and interest. I was looking for truck information and even though this isn't a perfect match I enjoyed your site. Thanks for the read!

carpet cleaning dallas said...

Hi was looking at ur blog its cool! i have a carpet cleaning website with tips for cleaning your carpet if you are intrested? carpet cleaning plano

toxic mold test said...

Warning...Warning.. Safety Tip of the WEEK...If you are having problems with colds and sickness in your home and you live in a moist wet ares of the country. Then you might want a toxic mold test .. If you see black dust looking stuff on your walls or around your bathtub,shower or sink then you probaly have a mold problem and need to get a toxic mold test . Dont panic and think you need to get a toxic mold test right away. You can use bleach to clean it up with some paper tools and then dispose of the towels a trash bag. If you need some more info visit http://moldinfo4u.com .. I hope you have a safe and sickness free home...

Anonymous said...

I really like your gto related blog site. I have a gto related web site at gto. If you're into gto. You will want to check it out.

toxic mold exposure said...

Wait a Minute... READ THIS... I would like you to know about toxic mold exposure. If you are getting sick often. Visit ..http://moldinfo4u.com . If You see black powder looking dust on your walls or floors that could be the toxic mold exposure I'm Talking about.. This can be cleaned with bleach most of the time but beware of how you clean and dispose of the paper towel that you use.

symptoms of toxic mold syndrome said...

Wait a Minute... READ THIS... I would like you to know about symptoms of toxic mold syndrome. If you are getting sick often. Visit ..http://moldnhome.com . If You see black powder looking dust on your walls or floors that could be the symptoms of toxic mold syndrome I'm Talking about.. This can be cleaned with bleach most of the time but beware of how you clean and dispose of the paper towel that you use.

plano carpet cleaning said...

Hey Great Blog! Need any information on cleaning Check out my web site plano carpet cleaning it relates to plano carpet cleaning

remodeling contractor said...

Some people believe that to create is great but build is like changing the past forever... If you want to create a beautiful home Visit remodeling contractor and you can see what a little change can create..

remodeling said...

Projects..Projects..Projects.. If you are like me it seems like there is never enough time in the day.. You get home late and leave early.. then the weekends thats another story by itself. My wife has found it easier to hire somebody if you we need help with remodeling. She fond a great site for remodeling at http://remodelinghelp4u.com and wanted to share it with you.. Im glad to find help when I need it.. I hope you have great luck remodeling your home...

Scott Arthur Edwards said...

Check this out for FREE...

This opportunity says:

"Your Ad" Will Be Instantly Displayed on Thousands of Websites and Read By Over 10 Million People Per Week For FREE, and It Only Takes 60 Seconds To Get Started!

To find out more visit: internet secret to making money site. It successfully exposes FREE information covering Traffic and internet secret to making money related stuff.

Simon Langer said...

Greetings, I was reading some blogs and came across your blog. I'm quite impressed , with how it has a good feel. This is one to watch.

Regards,

seattle house cleaning

Spindrift said...

Hello, Just wandering the blogosphere and happened on your blog. I like the way how you have put it all together. I'll be coming back again.

Regards,

schedules house cleaning